Answered By: Amy LaVertu Last Updated: Jul 01, 2016 Views: 15
Yes. Below are instructions for how to transfer references from RefWorks to EndNote or from EndNote to RefWorks.
Transferring References from RefWorks into EndNote
Please note: Only EndNote versions X and higher will allow you to transfer references from RefWorks.
- Go to RefWorks and select "References" from the toolbar at the very top of the RefWorks screen. Then select "Export." An "Export References" window will open.
- Under "Export Format," select "RefWorks Tagged Format." Select "Export."
- A window will open prompting you to save your references as .txt file. Select "Save As" and save the file.
- Open up the EndNote library in which you will transfer the references from RefWorks.
- Then, in your EndNote library, go to "File" and select "Import."
- Browse for and select the text file exported from RefWorks.
- Under "Import Options," select "RefWorks Import." Select "Import."
Transferring References from EndNoteinto RefWorks
Login to your RefWorks account and open your EndNote library. Then:
- In your EndNote library, select "File" and then "Export." An "Import Reference" window will open prompting you to save your EndNote library.
- Under "Save as Type," select "Text File". Under "Output Style," select "Select Another Style" and select "RefMan (RIS) Export". Save the file to your computer.
- Go to RefWorks and select "References" from the toolbar at the very top of the RefWorks screen. Then select "Import."
- Select From "Text File."* Under "Import Filter/Data Source" choose "RIS Format." Under "Database," select "RIS Format."
- Browse for and choose the text file you saved from EndNote and select "Import."
- An "Import References" window will appear displaying the number of references sent to RefWorks.
- Close out of the "Import References" window to return to your reference list.
* Note: While the option to import From EndNote Database option is featured on the Import Reference window, this feature is not working properly at this time.